HISTORY OF THE UNION OF GREEK SHIPOWNERS

In February 1916, the shipping industry established an association under the name "Union of Greek Shipowners”, initially situated in Piraeus (at the Spiraki Hall). The purpose of the Union, in accordance with its Statute, is to protect and promote the general interests of the Greek merchant shipping.

In the first elections, Leonidas Embiricos was elected President of the Union with George Sakalis as the Director General.  The instigator of the initiative of the Union’s foundation was Ghikas Coulouras.

During the 100 years of the Union’s operation, 52 Boards of Directors were formed and 16 Presidents were elected.

Short biographies of the 16 Presidents of the Union, the Boards of Directors and the participating members in these as well as the Directors General of the Union can be found in the following tabs.